Hi Paul,

Once you get out into rural areas, it's sometimes the case that an entire hamlet is covered by a one or two postcodes. There may be named streets but according to RM/PAF these are ignored and such addresses take the form: building name/number, locality, post town, postcode. The more natural fit, following the structure prompted in the iD editor, for example, would be building name/number, street, locality*, postcode.
I've encountered this situation where RM addresses for a village don't include the street names, even though the streets have signed names.  My view is do include the street names. I've no idea why they are left out, because finding addresses in a village where the houses have names rather than numbers can be difficult, even when the street is known.

I wouldn't worry about the validator as long as you are reasonably sure the data you have added is accurate. These validation tools are very useful, but they are only intended to suggest things that might be wrong.  Mappers sometimes fall into the trap of tagging for the validator.

Even in villages with established streets and house numbers, there will be outlying properties where the street names will be foregone: S36 7GG is an example of this.
For outlying properties, I don't think there is any harm in including addr:street, regardless of official practice, assuming there is a logical street to use. Sometimes remote properties are grouped by a sub-locality name, in which case I would use addr:place.

Additionally, it's not clear whether name or addr:housename (or both) should be used when mapping anything from a a detached house to a building split into multiple addressable units (eg terraces, flats).
I would recommend not duplicating addr:housename and name. Generally it's best to avoid putting the same information in more than one address tag. For most addresses addr:housename is the best choice and name can then be used for things like business names.

Cheers,
Will