On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 12:40, Martin Wynne <mar...@templot.com> wrote:
> I don't know anyone who would say "I see a residential area". Or "I see
> a plot of land with planning class C3 or C4".

From a zoomed-out perspective, landuse= (and natural=) is the main
thing you see on the map (especially if buildings aren't mapped), so I
think it's pretty useful from a cartographic point of view. It's not
just about what you see on the ground, but how you can turn that into
a useful map when you're looking at a large area.

There are still chunks of the UK which look empty at medium zoom
levels (e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/50.4437/-4.8581)
due to lack of landuse mapping.

--
Russ Garrett