On 07/05/2019 14:38, David Woolley wrote:

However, I wouldn't say the primary purpose of the area you were asking about is to be a garden; I would say it is somewhere to reside, and the gardens form a subsidiary part of it, and should be represented with nested areas.

Thanks David.

But is that what OSM is for -- to describe the *purpose* of a thing?

I thought the idea was describe the *physical* object and its location? Physically it is a house built in a garden.

For all we know, it may not be anyone's residence -- it could be being used as offices, say. In that case landuse=residential would be wrong, it should be landuse=commercial. But it's still a house in a garden.

cheers,

Martin.