Hi Spike,

There are two aspects to your question. The first is around mechanical edits
(i.e. importing NaPTAN), and I’ll defer to the group for that because while I
would like to use NaPTAN (matained, mostly) to update OSM (not maintained,
mostly) across the UK, there is resistance to that - and it is because of that
“mostly” issue, because in some areas bus stops have been more accurately
surveyed.

However, one of my many hats (as a consultant) is as the DfT’s “Public
Transport Data Standards” expert (Transport is a devolved power, but the
Scottish Parliament usually keeps Scotland broadly aligned with England). If
you want to know specific things about NaPTAN fields, then I can tell you what
they are for and why we need them - either email me direct, or reply here if
you think that it would be more widely interesting. That is particularly true
of stop points which are “Custom & Practice” or “Hail & Ride” which are not
marked on the ground at all (so are perhaps irrelevant from a mapping
perspective), but are nevertheless valid stopping points (and very important
from a PT perspective)

As a general note to both you and the wider community, the (English) Bus
Services Act 2017 provides powers to compel Local Authorities to maintain
NaPTAN data, and there are steps being discussed to assist in bulk
“improvements” to the stop data ahead of the timetable provision which is
intended to commence Jan 2020, mandatory by Jan 2021 (these dates all in the
public domain, by the way). There is a similar Bill going through Holyrood at
present, but I don’t know precisely what powers it will contain or what dates
it will mandate.

Regards,
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east and anglia