Tom Hughes wrote:
> That doesn't follow - in the UK we have always (with very rare
> exceptions like Oxford High Street) mapped secondary, primary
> and trunk to the official status of the road.

It's slightly more nuanced than that - we have always mapped secondary,
primary and trunk to the _observable_ official status of the road.

Where a road isn't signposted with that status, we don't have a strong
precedent. There is at least one such road which has been highway=tertiary
since 2009. It is not signposted as the A*** on the ground - indeed, traffic
for the A*** is expressly signed another way - but legally it is the A***.
And no I'm not going to say where it is or some Sabristo[1] will come along
and "fix" it.

Philip's example is the same: I know the road he's talking about and it
isn't signposted as the A****, it's signposted only for the little suburb
along it. There is a very definite decision there on the part of the
highways authority to not treat it as an A road.

I don't have a simple answer, but I am tempted by the logic that where the
highways authority has clearly made a decision not to signpost a road as (in
OSM terms) secondary, primary or trunk, we should follow suit and tag
something like highway=tertiary, designation=primary, ref=A***.

cheers
Richard

[1] https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/

--