On 24/02/2020 11:44, Andy Townsend wrote:

I suspect that it'll depend on the showground.  For Stoneleigh (which used to host the Royal Show), I'd have said commercial was correct.  For Ashover https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/231760526 (much smaller!) you could perhaps make a case for recreation_ground or farmland, although for 1 day a year it's used for Ashover show and it is currently mapped as the little-used "amenity=show_grounds" (which doesn't seem wrong, either).

That does make sense, particularly where the ground has other uses at other times.

I've no idea what the best tag for the Three Counties Showground would be - perhaps that would depend on "what it is most of the year"?

Most of the year it's just grass. It has no use other than the events which are held there, and those only take up a few days a year.

That's why I'm not entirely comfortable with recreation_ground, as that implies that it has a year-round use as such.

Mark