Jothirnadh Guthula wrote:
> With a team of mappers @Amazon we are planning to improve
> missing roads in UK using Facebook detections as a source. Please
> let us know if you have any ongoing projects using this data source.
> While adding missing roads, we will be adding all the associated
> access tags as per available on-ground resources.

I'd urge extreme caution on this, particularly in rural areas, for two
reasons.

Firstly, as Martin says, there are virtually no public roads unmapped in the
UK. New construction aside, I think in the last five years, I've spotted
two, both in Powys.

Secondly, UK access rights are unique and complex, and can only be discerned
either by survey or by consulting Definitive Statements where these exist.
You should not be adding access tags, nor adding highway types that imply
access rights (for example, highway=unclassified implies general public
access to all vehicle types), unless you've surveyed the location or
consulted a Definitive Statement.

For an example of the issues, please see this changeset discussion:

In this case an Amazon Logistics mapper added motor_vehicle=yes which was
inaccurate. In this particular case I was lucky to find an openly licensed
photo to demonstrate the real access rights on that way.

If you're exclusively mapping new housing estates in urban areas, though, go
for it. :)

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Great-Britain-f5372682.html