So, will I have to quote a 20-digit alpha-numeric code, if I want to order
something from Amazon? ..or get my grandchildren to send me a birthday card?
(I do not know what these UPRN's look like, but I bet they are not as easy to
remember as "Rose Cottage, 3 Church Lane, XX3 4ZZ")
We have to think about human readability and memorability, versus machine
computability and we need to be careful not to make the humans do all the work,
just to make it easier for the machines.  Making me use a PostCode is already
making me do some of the work, but at least they are only 6 or 7 characters.
Regards,Peter

    On Friday, 3 April 2020, 09:59:27 BST, Mark Goodge <m...@good-stuff.co.uk>
wrote:

On 03/04/2020 09:27, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

> There will presumably be a drive in government circles to store
> addresses as UPRN's, and then fetch the associated location and
> address data from AddressBase. Assuming Rob's interpretation is
> correct (I think it probably is) then this could be bad new for
> sources of addresses and postcodes for OSM. While we'll be more easily
> able to geo-locate objects from their URPN's, the actual addresses in
> any datasets will become more likely to be contaminated by OS's IP
> rights in AddressBase.

In the long run, I suspect this could actually spell the end for postal
addresses (as distinct from geographic addresses). If every property has
a published, unique number, analogous to a telephone number, then all
that's necessary for, say, Amazon to deliver a package to me is for them
to know the UPRN of my house. Their routing software will then do all
the heavy lifting of plotting how to get the package from their depot to
my door.

Mark