> Unless you've been given permission by the copyright holder to make use of a
> map like that, then it's off-limits for use in OSM. The map at
> https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/roads-parking-and-travel/public-rights-of-way/public-rights-of-way-map/
is currently not working for me, but is does say "(c) Crown copyright and
database rights 2020 Ordnance Survey 100023320" below it. It's likely that it
was showing lines for Rights of Way on top of an Ordnance Survey base map -- in
which case it certainly couldn't be used for OSM mapping. You might be able to
get permission to use the overlay lines, but you'd have to detach them from the
base map before using them. Otherwise you might be inferring location details
from the OS base map. Ordnance Survey are quite strict on what they consider to
be derived data from their maps, so OSM needs to be very careful around them.

Understood but surely it is acceptable to draw the line in OSM making use of
one's own GPS, or from visibility in the satellite layer(s) or OS OpenData, and
then use the Council's map to get the prow_ref? Ordnance Survey do not have
copyright on the prow ref and the LCC have made their prow refs open access.

Or are you saying because one has to cross reference one's own drawing with the
OS map, that OS own the copyright on the Council's data? Seems an over stretch?

I'm aware that this is somewhat diverging from the discussion.

In the end, the council clearly doesn't seem to care - either approach is fine
by them as they use both. We're the ones imposing a restriction on the data
format for our own purposes. I will go with parish name, rather than ID if
that's what's agreed, but unfortunately I cannot edit all the ones I have
already added using the parish ID rather than name (happy for them to be auto
edited using the lookup table Tony has shared).

Cheers.

> Thanks Tony and Adam for your responses. It is good to know that LCC have
> released the parish IDs in the data as well. Makes a lookup table easy to
> produce.
>
> It still remains that if I were a casual mapper and wanted to add an unmapped
> path to OSM, the primary source for the prow_ref is the council’s map.

Unless you've been given permission by the copyright holder to make use of a
map like that, then it's off-limits for use in OSM. The map at
https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/roads-parking-and-travel/public-rights-of-way/public-rights-of-way-map/
is currently not working for me, but is does say "(c) Crown copyright and
database rights 2020 Ordnance Survey 100023320" below it. It's likely that it
was showing lines for Rights of Way on top of an Ordnance Survey base map -- in
which case it certainly couldn't be used for OSM mapping. You might be able to
get permission to use the overlay lines, but you'd have to detach them from the
base map before using them. Otherwise you might be inferring location details
from the OS base map. Ordnance Survey are quite strict on what they consider to
be derived data from their maps, so OSM needs to be very careful around them.

What we do have permission to use in OSM is the raw GIS files from Lancashire.
As already noted, these contain both the parish IDs and names. It's up to
whoever renders them what to show as labels.
Hopefully we can agree on a prow_ref format here, and then any tool authors
will follow that in what they display to mappers.

> It is then complicated that other sources use an mix of formats. (Even
> for me, parish IDs are the most straightforward way of adding prow_ref
> data to OSM.)

Both myself (who runs PRoW Comparison tools) and Nick (who runs MapThe
Paths) intend to ensure our tools show whatever prow_ref format is agreed. So
that should be two common sources of data for mappers to use.

Best wishes,

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker