I question the meaning of the word 'secret' when used in a newspaper. My observations are that secret means the reporter didn't know about it.

Tony

On 28/06/2020 00:47, David Woolley wrote:
On 27/06/2020 23:37, Dave Love wrote:
I was going to map a covered reservoir round here that I've known from
my youth, but I happened to find an article about it from the local
paper suggesting the location is secret, though it's listed in
Historic England.  (It's not far from a "sensitive government
establishment" that no-one locally knew about before it ceased to be
secret :-/)
Should I not map it, or pretend I didn't see the article?

How would another mapper verify this?  I normally think that people interpret the map only what's on the ground rule too literally, but in this case, I'd suggest the moral thing to do is to ignore your local knowledge an only map what can be seen, without guessing its significance.

(There are some road signs entitled "secret bunker", e.g. for Kelvedon Hatch, but I don't think this is the case here.

On the other hand, there used to be part of the North Yorkshire moors that had "undefined" written over it on OS maps.)