Thanks Russ - didn't know about https://os.openstreetmap.org/

Free beer or free speech -  I'm looking at.

On 03/07/2020 11:35, Russ Garrett wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 11:24, Tony OSM <tonyo...@gmail.com> wrote:
There was a reference to £1000 worth of data being made free each month
to individual users - can't find out how this works yet. This may allow
us as individuals to populate OSM and OSM essentially aggregates the
data - rather like postcode data. I am researching the site to find out
how this works.
I'm fairly sure that's "free as in beer" and not "free as in speech",
and the data will still be subject to a restrictive license which is
incompatible with OSM.

OS have also made maps downloadable as images 'OS OpenMap Local' - I did
OS square SD, this provides a map picture, I checked out a new housing
estate and it has the street names - not currently in OSM (haven't put
them in yet). So the OS data is useful. For that SD square they provide
hundreds of files based on their method of 10km  map references with 4
sections per 10 km - NW,NE,SW,SE. Not easy to use, an overlay of
sections is required. This is updated regularly so can replace OS Open
Data Streetview which I believe to be no longer updated.
OpenMap Local is already available on https://os.openstreetmap.org/
and presumably it will percolate down into editors in due course.