On 04/07/2020 06:16, Kai Michael Poppe - OSM wrote:

So, a few months ago I stumbled upon a note
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/2158104#map=19/51.49829/-0.32762)
that StreetComplete left saying, that the street couldn't be given a
name because there's none shown.

Back then, I used streetmap.co.uk
(https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=516161&Y=179063&A=Y&Z=106) in
hopes to finding something - but only got "FAI RD." which - to me -
makes no sense.

Also, using https://os.openstreetmap.org/ makes it look like that's just
an access path to houses around it, which is (IMHO) not entirely true as
the way directly linking Southdown Av. and Boston Rd. clearly is
publicly accessible.

Now, using the above mentioned map
(https://osm.mathmos.net/addresses/uprn/#19/51.4983/-0.3279) I now know,
that this street has the UPRN ID 12145988.

That may not be the UPRN of the path or street. It may be the UPRN of the open space that the path runs through. The path is more likely to have a USRN (unique street reference number) than a UPRN.

To find the USRN of the path, you need to use the lookup tables supplied by OS. Doing that, we find that the associated USRN is 20602512.

Now, there's no open data source which will directly tell you the name of a USRN (at least, not until we start putting them into OSM). The long way of doing so is to find the matching LineString in OS OpenMap Local, and see what name it has there.

However, it can be done directly via a non-open source. If you go to https://www.findmystreet.co.uk/map and zoom in on the location, then click the street to bring up the USRN details, it will give the name (and also confirm that the USRN from the OS lookup table is correct). Or use the search box and search for USRN 20602512.

From an OSM point of view, that would normally be a dead end. Even if you can view the information on a non-open source, you can't incorporate it into OSM. However, in this case, we already have an abbreviated name from an open source. So all we are learning from the closed source is the full text of the abbreviation. Whether that makes it acceptable to include the full name into OSM is a matter of debate. I'll leave that decision up to others, but, for reference, the name of the street is Fairfield Road.

Mark