On 18/11/2020 09:55, James Derrick wrote:

Building UPRN tags appear to be more clear-cut, with the U*SN location node around the centre of a building way.

As we all learn more about the data, perhaps I (and others?) may have been to quick to add USRN tags as they first became available?

USRNs are relatively straightforward, for several reasons. Firstly, they only apply to highways, so they're much less ambiguous than UPRNs. And they can, generally, be matched with the relevant OSM way (or relation) just by using a map overlay (although be aware that an OSM way may not exactly match the geometry of OS MasterMap, which is what the OS OpenUSRN geometry is based on). And, finally, the OpenUSRN database only contains current USRNs, so there's no danger of inadvertently tagging a road with an inactive one.

UPRNs are much harder, partly because the OpenUPRN database includes inactive ones (there are good operational reasons for this, but it's unhelpful for mapping purposes when you're trying to map what exists rather than what might once have been) and partly because UPRNs can apply to pretty much anything, including subdivisions or different levels of an entity that may be a single mapped object as well as things that can't actually be seen (and therefore wouldn't be mapped on OSM).

What I'd suggest, therefore, is that we should add as many USRNs as possible, based on a best-match between the relevant OSM way and the OS OpenUSRN geometry. But we should only add UPRNs that are unambiguously the correct one for a particular building or structure.

Going back to USRNs, there are a few gotchas that mappers need to be aware of. The first is that a road can have multiple USRNs. The most common instance of that is a trunk road (that is, one operated by a national, rather than county, highway authority), which will have a USRN issued by the national authority for its entire length and individual USRNs issued by each highway authority that it passes through. But even smaller roads can have multiple USRNs if it suits the highway authority to assign them for operational purposes.

The other main gotcha is that USRNs don't have a one-to-one correspondence with OSM ways that represent mapped streets. For example, a cross-country road that crosses a highway authority boundary will have a different USRN in each authority, but will usually be a single OSM way. On the other hand, an urban street that is one-way for only part of its length will be separate OSM ways (as those restrictions have to be applied on a per-way basis), but a single USRN. So when tagging a way with a USRN, you do have to be sure that you are tagging the right way with the right USRN.

Mark