On 18/11/2020 11:10, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
It's definitely possible for UPRNs to be assigned to streets. I think
you can tell this by searching for such a UPRN at
https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/  (I don't look at that now since they
added a new T&C forbidding any use of the information for competing
purposes.) IIRC, that site will tell you if a UPRN you enter is a
street reference, and then refuse to provide the usual address
information.

It is worth pointing out that UPRN references identify parcels of land and in theory the whole of the United Kingdom is now covered by a continuous grid of land parcels with unique identifiers. Where a parcel is developed into multiple new smaller parcels then a new block of UPRN's will be generated by the local authority as defined by the planning documentation. So roads and amenity land which do not involve postal addresses will be defined along with other land registry parcels. I am not sure what happens with the original UPRN, but I would expect it to be tagged as 'ended' when the new contained parcels are 'started'. It should not be used as a part of the new batch for consistency but I can't find the 'rules' applied here. The new roads on the developments will then have new USRN references and Royal Mail will assign postcodes to these new roads. Many UPRN packets will never have a postal address listed in the PAF file ( and many businesses today are not properly listed either ) even if a postcode is used with that object as if it is.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL