On Mon, 14 Dec 2020, 20:58 ael via Talk-GB, <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 08:30:01PM +0000, Neil Matthews wrote:
> > Looks like there's been an attempt to remove all stiles from bridleways
> --
> > pretty sure I've seen this done in other edits -- agree that they're a
> > potential anomaly but should they really be a mechanical edit (even if by
> > hand)? See https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/95739504
>
> I would regard this as vandalism if it is removing surveyed real stiles
> to suit an ideal world where they are not permitted on bridleways.
>
> Perhaps I have misunderstood?

My understanding is that the stiles in question were mapped as a tag on a
bridleway / footway junction, and have been moved to a node on the footway.
This is highly likely to be to be correct, since a (foot) stile is a
construction at the point where a path crosses a fence and so topologically
cannot occur at a junction.

I would generally feel OK doing this without a ground survey if it was
reasonably clear that there is a fence paralleling the bridleway, and that
the footpath is crossing. This might be visible on aerial photography where
the bridleway runs in the gap between two fields, for example.