On 14/12/2020 20:57, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
A barrier=stile on a long-established UK bridleway is 99.9% a mapping error. Bridleways are open to horses and bikes, and so stiles are forbidden - PRoW officers are pretty hot on this.

That may be the case in the comfy Cotswolds but I'm not sure that necessarily the case everywhere else in the country. :)

Actual steps on bridleways are common enough that I had to add a rendering for them at map.atownsend.org.uk (see https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=19&lat=54.417701&lon=-0.525549 ).  I might have recently mentioned https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=21&lat=54.0087259&lon=-1.0201263 (a bridleway with an electric fence across it) on this list as well.

There are plenty of signed bridleways where horse access might be difficult for other reasons:  I set horse_scale=demanding on https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/762748920 , but on balance it should perhaps be a higher value due to the difficulty in negotiating the descent.  A subsequent mapper added bicycle=yes there - that's entirely correct, but the depth of the mud and the thickness of the trees would would be a challenge to even the keenest MTBer.

With regard to this alleged stile, the previous tagging and location would suggest to me a barrier=horse_stile (mentioned earlier in the thread) on the bridleway rather than a barrier=stile off it, but so much here needs remapping or at the very least rechecking (the stream differs greatly from the imagery, at least one of the bridleways looks like a track to me, no designation tags) that personally I'd just stick it in the "needs survey" bucket.

Best Regards,

Andy