Hello Adrian.

It can take anything between a few minutes and a few days for edits to
appear on the live map, so don't let the delay put you off editing.

The initial mapping of a region is often quite crude, done from a mix
of aerial photos and various database dumps, which can often be
inaccurate, and need a lot of tidying-up. It's the incremental
improvements done by people working locally, walking and recording the
tracks, noting landmarks, fixing mistakes, that make the biggest impact
on quality. The work never stops.

We are all authorised to improve the map; just register an account and
start editing. The OSM wiki sets out editing guidelines. JOSM is a good
editing program, and the built-in web editor is fine for small stuff.

There's great satisfaction in seeing a mapped region that we improved to
a standard possibly better than the OSI being available for use by
everybody, not least ourselves and our own GPSs and websites.

Best of luck to you.

Tony.

==
20:46, Dé Céadaoin 11 Eanáir 2017, scríobh "Adrian Thomas
<adrianrtho...@gmail.com>":