Hi Adrian!

On 11/01/17 21:46, Adrian Thomas wrote:
> I've recently retired and moved to live in West Cork.  As an
> experienced hill walker I have been using GAIA GPS to explore new
> routes across the hills and mountains in the west of Ireland.

And welcome to OSM!

We have a few hillwakers here (in OSM Ireland and OSM globally). I
like a bit of hiking myself. There's a few hiking sites based on OSM:

 * https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/
 * http://hikebikemap.org/
 * General info about walking routes etc:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes
 *
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Irish_Waymarked_Walking_Trail_Network

> noticed that some local features such as buildings were missing
> from OSM so I enroled as a contributor a few months back.  I spent
> a happy evening adding local features which I know exist  using the
> aerial photo backdrop for accuracy.

Great stuff.

> I was quite disheartened next day when less than half of my new
> additions appeared on the map so I haven't been back.

That's a shame. As others have noted, it's a chance that your web
browser is caching the map images locally and isn't showing you the
new, updated ones. If you load the same area in an Incognito
mode/Private Browsing mode, it will not use that old cache and you
might see the data fresh. You can also clear your browser cache (this
page has guides: http://www.refreshyourcache.com/ ).

If it is the cache, and you do nothing, it should appear in about a
week (since your computer only caches it for about a week)

Another option is simple mistakes. A motorway is highway=motorway, if
you enter "highwya=motorway" it won't work. Happens to the best of us
sometimes :)

If you tell us the area, and what you expect to appear, we can have a
look and provide more specific feedback.

> However, I have recently noticed quite a number of significant
> errors on OSM in my locality and I'd really like to EITHER go in
> and correct someone else's carelessness OR simply report the
> error(s) and let someone else put them right.  I think I could
> contribute quite a lot to OSM in West Cork and Kerry simply by
> checking out stuff which I suspect to be wrong.

That'd be great! If you want to fix the errors, go ahead! That's the
best and more straight forward approach. Just edit the map and fix it!
The closest thing to a "report" functionality is to leave a note on
the map. "A pub is missing here" that kind of thing. Though those sort
of notes are best dealt with by local mappers in the area, which
well... ;)

> For instance north of Bantry is a well known col shown as "Priest's
> Leap 572m" despite the fact that a) it isn't that high, b) it's
> shown below the 450m contour and c) even the nearby hill top is
> only 520m.  This isn't even a typo because it isn't 472m either!

Huh. It looks like that ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/332372918
) is from the Mountain View data import from 2009. Practically
prehistoric by OSM standards! The mountain view page is here
http://mountainviews.ie/summit/413/ I think others have explained how
"elevation" is tagged.

> Some of my other "errors" relate to features shown as roads which
> are actually overgrown tracks which you couldn't even walk along
> much less drive and certainly NOT a public road.

OSM is more than just roads. We can add walking paths and such.

> In one case there is a "track" across a field on OSM which was
> shown on the aerial photos as no more than the marks left by a
> tractor on one pass.  Definitely neither a road nor a track.

There's nothing wrong with this per se. If a farmer just drove across
a field on the day the aerial imagery was taken, and left an
indentation in the ground, then yes, don't map that. But if it's an
actual track, then by all means map that. You can use the tracktype
tag to specify the track quality, with tracktype=grade5 being like you
describe. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tracktype

As I'm sure you know, if you're hiking, you would be willing to walk
down a tracktype=grade5.

> Am I authorised to start cleaning up these blunders or should I
> just go back to using OS maps?

Of course you are "authorised"! Everyone is authorised. There is no
authorisation for anyone to give or revoke. (It is possible to block
vandals though, lest you think we're an anarchy.)

If you can improve the map (either adding new data/information, or
correcting old data), then by all means do it! You don't need to ask
permission.

If you're worried about mistakes, you can tell us your OSM username,
and we can have a look over what you add, and give you any pointers
and double check what you've done. There are many tools in OSM to
"undo"/revent work that someone has added, so if you really mess up,
and want one of us to undo it for you, we can do that.

Hope that helps. Feel free to email this list (or me privately if
you'd like), if you have any more questions. We were all new once.

Rory