AFAIK, one should use the main language of the area in which the
feature is located. I think it is supposed to follow the language used
to determine the name tag.
So for the Belgian/Flemish town Antwerpen (Antwerp in English), you
should use wikipedia=nl:Antwerpen (stad)
This links to the Wikipedia page: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerpen_(stad)
Wikipedia knows that the English page is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerp (perhaps by using Wikidata
internally)
This link and links to over a hundred other languages is found on the left

So either the data consumer or Wikipedia should be able to direct you
immediately to the English page if your browser settings (or app
settings) indicate that you prefer English over Dutch.
I don't know whether Wikipedia actually does this.

There is no need to add more than 100 Wikipedia links (the number of
languages for which there is an article on Antwerpen) to OSM.

This is a problem for Brussels, where OSM has no real preference for
language. Should be point to the Dutch or French version?

Note that people pointed out in the past that you can find linked
Wikipedia articles with slightly different subjects in different
languages.

I am still not really happy with this, but hey, if this is what the
majority wants, I'm not going to be a dissident.

m.