On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@au-kbc.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 Jan 2010 8:50:59 am Sudev Barar wrote:
>> > That is strange. Most GPS units can nowadays be made to work with
>> > Linux, with exceptions of course. If you can let us borrow a unit
>> > for a few days, we would be glad to have a go at it.
>>
>> I mostly use wine to run MapSource that comes along with Garmin units.
>>

> I have yet to come across a Garmin unit that does not work with gpsbabel

But produce supported on Linux officially by manufacturer is what
required. Now, it is just matter of chance. If if worked on Linux
fine, otherwise keep rebooting or use friends PC on M$ window to use
you device.

Found following GPS devices when searched for Linux.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=SEMSONS-INC&vwcatalog=SEMSONS-INC&query=linux&x=0&y=0

http://www.semsons.com/vivgblgpsdal.html has facility to Voice Tag
with inbuilt mic.

http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos1.html

=======
OT
=======

We purchases Smart Class Room system. Company promised it to work on
Linux. When I demanded its working on Linux, even after 3 week I yet
to get CD for Linux [Courier lost it in between :-( ].

Yesterday they send person (from Delhi) to give me demo on Linux, who
does not carried any CD with him and has never worked on Linux. He
just wasted my two hours and went back without any gain.

Their website do mention support for M$window, Mac and Linux, but
number of software for M$ windows is more and are having higher
version.

 http://www.einstruction.com/support_downloads/downloads.html

--
H.S.Rai