Quite interesting, while trying to clean up the mumbai map, i was wondering
what to do with all those slum areas which form a huge part of the city. Its
quite easy to identify slums areas on yahoo imagery as the structures
have small
roofs <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=19.04369&lon=72.8547&zoom=17>. And
if ISRO is just planning to map slum land areas and not the insides, then we
can do a much faster job than the govt, sitting at home and collaborating
together on a particular city.

This is a very good opportunity to showcase the crowdsourcing abilities of
osm for social causes to the Indian public as well as the govt. I'll have to
apologize for working silently in the background with OSM data, on which
i'll write about soon. But i have experienced first hand the absolutely HUGE
void of geographic data in the country that so many different people from
different areas need, and how OSM could help, but nobody knows about its
existence!

I suggest all of us get together and map all the slum area in mumbai that we
can identify through yahoo imagery. I dont think it would take more than a
few days if we all work together. If we have that data in, we could probably
pull it out to make some very interesting infographic like comparing slums
space to open space/parks and spread it virally through the internet to
raise awareness about OSM, and possibly also to the govt. Anyone open to the
idea?

-arun

http://j.mp/ArunGanesh