On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:59 PM, PlaneMad <theplane...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite interesting, while trying to clean up the mumbai map, i was wondering
> what to do with all those slum areas which form a huge part of the city. Its
> quite easy to identify slums areas on yahoo imagery as the structures have
> small roofs. And if ISRO is just planning to map slum land areas and not the
> insides, then we can do a much faster job than the govt, sitting at home and
> collaborating together on a particular city.

If ISRO just maps the outline of slum area, it will look like patches
on the map and all that government would be able to get is how much
sq. kms are covered. Then the estimate of number of people living in
slum areas by multiplying it with population density will arrive at a
figure that would most probably be far from the reality. And the
number of houses built for slum dwellers will fall short in numbers
and new slums will start taking shape.

IMHO, this needs much more ground work for surveying these areas than
simply drawing them on the map while sitting at home. But yes, the
maps that we prepare can serve as a good base for survey agencies.

We need to identify what all amenities or POIs need to be mapped in
addition to boundaries, lanes, public water taps/handpumps etc. that
will be helpful to the government in executing this project.

regards,
Nishant
--
How about some patent on "(a+b)2 = a2+2ab+b2". Choose free software!
http://www.nishants.net