On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways have released the new
> scientific numbering scheme[1]. We need to decide if we should move to the
> new numbering form or not. Also i think its better to have the old numbers
> as well. Probably we can have ref_old and ref_new keys.Now we have a totally
> new dimension to highways.(As though, we didnt have enough problems with it)

I have been trying to figure out some kind of rationale behind the
rationalized number scheme but couldnt figure out any. The pdf is quite a
bit of a muddle at the moment and we should probably wait for a better
document that has the old vs new numbers so that we dont incorrectly number
the roads.

ref_old sounds like a good plan. also, to familiarize people if the new/old
numbers show up, it would really help.

Definitely have

> On a different note, when i visited openstreetmap.in to check if someone
> has updated to new numbering scheme, i was shocked by seeing "Sudhama Nagar"
> replacing "Bangalore".[2] I went and checked the data, sudhama nagar was
> perfectly normal and marked as a locality in Bangalore, which it is. OSM
> site displays this properly.Any idea on what could be the problem?

It was incorrectly tagged as a state, i corrected it to locality but i guess
it would take time for it to show up in the low zoom tiles.

http://j.mp/ArunGanesh