Did I get you right?  TangoGPS on a laptop hooked to the GT-31
(gpstogo unit)?  From the screenshot it shows the mapnik layer.
Nice!  Mught be what ronny is looking for.

May I suggest you add what Rally does by encoding which side of the
street the POI is located (left or right based on the driving
direction).

--
cheers,
maning