So after 3 hours, did it work jim?  I think that's the easy bit now.
What's even more difficult is tweaking the default style to your own
preference.  OSM's mapnik xml is really ginormous.  That would
probably take me more than a week to understand.

I do hope the carto css gets into the stable release soon.  Just
compare how much easier to style the map with css:

http://mapnik.org/news/2011/sep/07/carto_parser_wrapup/

--
cheers,
maning