8 hours and 800 commands later ...

Reformatted the computer, reinstalled Ubuntu 11.04, ran the FULL set of
commands from the wiki, downloading the 500MB of coastline data, and adding my
login name to the db permissions.

Ran the database import, checked that the data was in the tables. Still
nothing. The server works with the mapnik data, but can't get anything at all
when I select local tiles.

> These script will be probably useful to make it working.
> $ sudo -u postgres psql -d <dbname> -c "ALTER TABLE geometry_columns
> OWNER TO <username>"
> $ sudo -u postgres psql -d <dbname> -c "ALTER TABLE spatial_ref_sys
> OWNER TO <username>"

This is included in the setup scripts. Tables are owned correctly.

> The 900913 is not normally included with postgis. To add it you
> should run:
> $ sudo -u postgres psql -d <dbname> -f 900913.sql

This too is already included. Data is already in the database as checked by
        gis=# SELECT * FROM spatial_ref_sys WHERE srid=900913;

> If you want to use hstore support then you will also need to enable
> the PostgreSQL hstore-new extension.

That has also been done already by the setup script.

Is there any way I can check what's going on? Apache logs show nothing. renderd
is running OK. A bit stuck here ...

Jim

--

   datalude: information security