On Roger's point about sidings - I'd map those as a separate track group,
since they are the sorts of things people would expect to disappear at lower
zooms. So north of Oxford station, I'd have the 4 down carriage sidings as
one group, the four running lines as one group and the 4 up carriage sidings
as a third group. Within each of those three groups, you could either do the
individual tracks (as 1of4), or the tracks as a group (tracks=4).

On loops, I'd probably exclude them from the running lines group, and use
other tags (perhaps has_loops=yes) to tell me that there are extra tracks
for a short-distance. You might also do has_loops:left and has_loops:right,
but one-sided rendering is on the tricky side. So just south of Oxford at
Kennington, you'd have the two running lines as tracks=2 (or 2xtracks=1of2)
with has_loops=yes. If I had done the two tracks separately, the renderer
would be entitled to expect me to have done the freight loops separately as
well, so they can ignore has_loops=yes at high zooms, and just render the
ways that have been drawn.

Richard