Hi Dave,

Some people have found more luck getting a GPS signal in the carriage ends
(I believe they're called the vestibules?) - however it's a pretty
uncomfortable journey stood their the entire time.

Otherwise, it simply depends on the type of train (some are more shielded
than others), and, I guess, the type of GPS device (ones with bigger aerials
might cope better). Also, I think it helps if you get a GPS fix before
getting on the train - they seem to have more difficulty getting a fix when
moving at high speed (or at least mine does).

Where are you mapping? Most of the UK train lines should already be fairly
well mapped.

Frankie

2009/9/25 d f <fac63te...@yahoo.com>

> Hi
>
> I've seen a few railway ways where it says the source is GPS. I've tried a
> couple of times but got absolutely no signal. I guess the roof of the
> carriages are shielded.
> Short of sticking an aerial on the roof or walking the tracks, what tips
> could you give me to get a recording of my journey?
>
> Cheers
> Dave F.

Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle