On 25 Sep 2009, at 09:04, Frankie Roberto wrote:

Hi Dave,

Some people have found more luck getting a GPS signal in the carriage ends (I believe they're called the vestibules?) - however it's a pretty uncomfortable journey stood their the entire time.

Yes it called a vestibule.

Otherwise, it simply depends on the type of train (some are more shielded than others), and, I guess, the type of GPS device (ones with bigger aerials might cope better). Also, I think it helps if you get a GPS fix before getting on the train - they seem to have more difficulty getting a fix when moving at high speed (or at least mine does).

I've found that the GPS you use can make a huge difference in the signal they can get.

Where are you mapping? Most of the UK train lines should already be fairly well mapped.

There are quite a lot that need some fine adjustment/more points added as they have only been roughly mapped.

Shaun

Frankie