From: Frankie Roberto <fran...@frankieroberto.com>
To: Public transport/transit/shared taxi related topics
<talk-transit@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Friday, 25 September, 2009 9:04:25
Subject: Re: [Talk-transit] Railway. Source= GPS

Hi Dave,

Some people have found more luck getting a GPS signal in the carriage ends (I
believe they're called the vestibules?) - however it's a pretty uncomfortable
journey stood their the entire time.

Otherwise, it simply depends on the type of train (some are more shielded than
others), and, I guess, the type of GPS device (ones with bigger aerials might
cope better). Also, I think it helps if you get a GPS fix before getting on the
train - they seem to have more difficulty getting a fix when moving at high
speed (or at least mine does).

Where are you mapping? Most of the UK train lines should already be fairly well
mapped.

Frankie

2009/9/25 d f <fac63te...@yahoo.com>

Hi

>I've seen a few railway ways where it says the source is GPS. I've tried a
>couple of times but got absolutely no signal. I guess the roof of the
>carriages are shielded.
>Short of sticking an aerial on the roof or walking the tracks, what tips could
>you give me to get a recording of my journey?
>
>Cheers
>Dave F.

Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle