On 12/11/2010 12:39 AM, Richard Mann wrote:

The English-language discussion appears to have long reached a
consensus (except for you).

The decision to place highway=bus_stop beside the road has been made before highway=platform existed. Without highway=platform I also would vote for beside the way.

Then highway=platform has bin introduced. Beside the way. Since two and a have year we have two tags for a bus stop beside the way. At the same position. This definitely does not make sense. Or does it for you?

The decision to place highway=bus_stop was based on the fact that one should be able to see on maps in which direction a bus runs. The need for highway=bus_stop beside the way has been replaced with the approved feature highway=platform.

Could you give me an argument why highway=bus_stop should be beside the way?

To place highway=bus_stop beside the way is inconsistent and incomplete.

If some people wish to use highway=bus_stop on the road, with
highway=platform alongside, that can perfectly well be deciphered by
software, and clearly documented as an alternative approach,

This is the point where we are in the wiki now. And this is very close to unified stoparea.

It does not need a
public_transport key to confuse matters further.

If we define highway=bus_stop *on* the way, we do not need another tag, you are right.

Regards
Teddych