On 6/20/2016 5:18 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
I really wonder how TriMet ultimately accomplished this, since that
would seem like a decent-ish starting point since that system is in
charge of a fairly multimodal system with above and below ground
stations, split-level stations, and transit centers of almost every
description.

I don't know for sure, but I think TriMet's system uses GTFS as a primary transit planning reference in OpenTripPlanner, and OSM data is maintained to facilitate public transit connection to Pedestrian / Bike / Car. A quick glance at OSM's public transit layer in Portland shows that lots of bus routes have been entered into OSM, but I don't know if they have any function other than "there is a bus route or stop here".