On 2016-06-25 00:53, Jo wrote:
Darya (a GsoC student) is actually working on a project to help with
the routing. We haven't included conversion from GTFS and I'm not sure
there will be time for that. What's most time consuming, especially
because of changes/breakings caused by other mappers and PT
itineraries subject to change, is to keep the routing up to date and
that's what the new plugin aims to solve.

Import of GTFS is what I'm most interested in, particularly due to the "subject to change" part of that. Other mappers in my area (a metro area of 5+ million) don't seem interested in transit routes; I'm interested, but it's a monumental task for one person, hence my desire for as much automation as possible. I have to imagine there are others like me elsewhere, and it's the kind of thing that can have huge impact on non-mapping users by providing high enough quality data that developers will add transit functionality to apps that currently ignore it, e.g. OsmAnd, and that will in turn generate more people willing to improve the data.

I'll admit my interest is more rail transit than buses, and rail doesn't change much, but even rail routes aren't well done in many places--and the standard map renderers seem to ignore rail almost entirely, perhaps because the tagging isn't consistent. That could be improved as well, even if one ignores the GTFS import part, just by analyzing the existing data in OSM and fixing its tags. I"m willing to work on bus data too, even though I rarely ride buses, for that reason, but that's a much longer-term project due to the sheer number of stops. Part of my interest in importing them is I suspect other mappers (or users with apps with feedback buttons) are more likely to improve existing stops that are part of a network but not in exactly the right location than create new ones in complete isolation.

At the moment it hooks mostly into the validator (so less routes would
be broken due to other changes made to the geometry of the ways), but
it's still work in progress.

That's roughly what I was thinking: import the data, create a bunch of new nodes/ways/routes, merge them with existing ones where certain tags (e.g. gtfs:stop_id) match, and then let the validator scream about any remaining suspected errors (e.g. a stop with gtfs:stop_id and one without it within 400m). The first time would likely be a mess, particularly in places with preexisting data, but future imports should only generate errors where there have been legitimate changes in the imported data, e.g. a new stop is added.

If you like, you can help with beta testing, of course. It does
already help with routes going against one way traffic flows.

It's called PT_assistant.

I'm happy to help test if it provides functionality that's useful.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov