The basic objection they voice is why need 2 tags, if 1 does the job.

highway=bus_stop

is not exactly nonsensical. It's concise and expresses what is meant. (OK,
it's not a highway and my preference is to map it next to the highway)

public_transport=platform

was designed at first to not need a mode of transport like
bus=yes/tram=yes. I am the one who proposed adding it, so that it COULD
start replacing highway=bus_stop back in 2012.

There is not always a platform present, so it's a bit of a misnomer as well.

Anyway, someone who wants to render a bus stop ideally wants to look at a
single tag, not a combination of 2, apparently. For a long time it was
supposedly a technical problem, but as soon as that was resolved somewhere
around 2017, it was still considered problematic to look at 2 tags.

I wish you good luck with proposing another way of mapping public
transport. Many have tried before you. It's really hard to beat status quo.
And the status quo is not the same across the planet. If you can propose
something that is both simpler, more elegant and still expressive enough
for all usecases, I'll vote yes on it.

Polyglot