On Thu, 2020-10-15 at 23:56 +0100, Alex Dhawan wrote:

> Would defiantly have to be a ballpark figure for any some of capacity
> metric. Could maybe also do capacity:peak/offpeak or
> capacity:morning/afternoon/evening/night? Yes random changing always
> happens – but there are certainly some which you could easily put in
> a pattern, although I’m not sure how global it is, but its reasonably
> common in the UK for commercial routes to use larger single deakers
> during daytime services, but then the operator switches into the
> evening and smaller operate solo type things are used instead.

Where I used to live (UK), the local buses ran like that with full
size, often double deckers, during the day and mini buses in the
evening.

However they also predicted demand so the last run on a Friday/Saturday
night would be operated by a full size bus.

Where I live now the local stopping train service (Shrewsbury - Crewe
Shuttle) is usually operated by a single carriage 'dogbox'.

Again when demand is expected to be higher then they run a bigger
train. Times such as extra shoppers before Christmas or Shrewsbury Town
playing a Northern side.

I am not sure what value capacity has to an end user, travel companies
are in the logistics business  and will adjust supply (capacity) to
meet expected demand.
Phil (trigpoint)