On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 19:55 -0600, Alex Mauer wrote:

> certainly a highway that meets the
> standards without being designated should be tagged as motorway, but as

IMHO the only thing that qualifies a road as a motorway (in the US) is
the big red and blue signage identifying it as part of the interstate
highway system.

If we tag things based on what it looks like (subjective) instead of
what it *is* (objective), the map will be a big mess of different
colors, without any consistency.

I think we need an 'official' one-to-one mapping of tags to real
road-types.  Maybe we should arrange some sort of a vote or something?

Bone