On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 09:21 +0200, Lambertus wrote:
> Any idea about the differences between the Tiger data in the OSM db and
> this new set? By that I mean: is it just road network updates or is the
> data also better defined? The current tiger data in the db may look
> alright on a map, but routing wise it is a real mess.

I have no idea since I can't even convert it to OSM format quite yet.

I'm in the process of converting the old ruby code over to perl.  I hate
ruby with a passion, and I think it slowed me down horribly last time.

In the newer code, I will make a substantial effort to fix up some of
the things that were wrong with the old code:

1. No "braided streets".  My old code just tried to make individual
   ways with the same name as long as possible.  I need to be more
   careful at 3/4-way *intersections* when the ways have the same
   name.
2. Follow motorway_links and ensure they hit motorways.  TIGER only
   has one 'onramp' tag, and it got converted wholesale to
   highway=motorway_link, even when it is nowhere near a motorway
3. Pay more attention to connections.  Don't let motorways and
   highway=residential share nodes as easily.

Anyone want to add to my list?  How about put it on the wiki for me? ;)

-- Dave