Michal Migurski wrote:
> There are a large number of mobile home / trailer parks mapped in San
> Jose, Santa Clara, and other parts of the South Bay. They're tagged
> place=hamlet, and I'm wondering if there's a better way to identify
> them? Beej71, if you're on this list I think a lot of these came from
> you.

I painstakingly put all of those in by hand!  Don't remove them! ;)

I'm kidding--it was all part of a mass import I did a while back.
Unfortunately I had no way to differentiate a trailer park from anything
else since none of the data had a "type" beyond "Populated Place".
There probably is a better way to tag them, but I know of no source of
data with which to automate it.

Here's some background on the import, which could be of use if someone
gets a list of which place names are trailer parks:

I munged the GNIS place name (and location) data with Census population
data.  The weirdest stuff, like trailer parks and junctions, as well as
historic towns, are all in the GNIS data.  It's some 160,000 places or
something.

Now, the Census database I got my hands only has about 80,000 entries
(the 80,000 most populated places), with the lowest populations being
under 100.

If there was a population for a place name, here are the rules:

                if pop < 100:
                    placetype = "hamlet"
                elif pop < 10000:
                    placetype = "village"
                elif pop < 100000:
                    placetype = "town"
                else:
                    placetype = "city"

(I made up the 100 based on the description in Features of "just a few
houses".  The other numbers are straight from Features.)

Else if there was no population data for a place name, it was likely too
small to be listed, so I made it a "hamlet".  The data still says it's a
"populated place", after all.

To identify these nodes in OSM:

Every node from the import was tagged with:

import_uuid=bb7269ee-502a-5391-8056-e3ce0e66489c

If (and only if) there was a census population for the place, it will be
additionally tagged with:

census:population=popxxx;dateyyy

Sorry for the late reply,
-Beej