Greg Troxel wrote:
> Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> writes:
>
>> Why make this more complicated than it has to be?  Leave the names on
>> the underlying way, not the relations; leave the refs on the relations,
>> not the underlying ways.  Then it's a matter of fixing mapnik and t...@h to
>> do the right thing, since relations are set up better to handle things
>> like route symbols.
>
> I don't follow why you think the name belongs on the way.  I would think
> that if there was a named road in a state that should be relation, and
> that relation a member of the interstate relation for the state, and
> that a member of the entire interstate relation.  The key property to be
> supported is arbitrarily nested relations.

Well, in some cases, because due to historical factors, some highways
have the same name despite having radically different route references,
and the names don't apply to the whole relation, but members of the
relation.  Why redundantly tag the name seperately from the relation,
when name= works so well for that already?  An example:  Interstate 5,
and Oregon 99, 99W and 99E all have at least some portions named Pacific
Highway, but not necessarily all of it is named Pacific highway.

Unless you're suggesting there's places where the name follows the
reference number other than Canada's QEW (I admit I don't really get out
of my region except to fly over it in my own country).

>> I'm not logged in on the wiki right now to fix this on the relations
>> list page, but we should probably recommend including a URL to a freely
>> reproducible SVG of the route marker so someone has the motivation to
>> fix rendering of numbered highways to use refs on relations in addition
>> to (or better yet: instead of) underlying ways, they can render
>> something other than the fugly ref symbols currently used, and instead
>> use the same symbol used along the actual route.
>
> I don't see why symbol source is related to whether the ref is on a
> relation or a way.  But I agree that having symbols someplace where all
> renderers can get at them would be nice.

It doesn't, but if you look at the route relations entry in the wiki, it
makes reference to using a freely reproducible SVG for the ref symbol
graphic for that relation, that didn't get reflected in the US relation
lists.