On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Spencer Riddile <riddile_spen...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> If someone wanted to upload public domain, state road centerline data to
>> OSM, what procedures could they take?  It seems like what we would like to
>> do is overwrite Tiger data but preserve user contributed data.  I did see an
>> example of using an opensource GIS plugin (RoadMatcher) that compares road
>> networks (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase_NRN_-_OSM_Map_Feature)
>> before uploading road data.  Are there other examples of procedures people
>> have used or best practices to bulk upload road centerline data?
>
> I don't believe anyone has come up with an automated way of updating
> existing data with better/different data. The best you can do is download
> the existing data and compare it manually with the newly-converted data.
> Perhaps we could write some simple tool to crowd-source the comparison
> between new and old data:
>
> "Here is the old data, here is the new data. Look at the road named "XYZ
> Rd.". Is:
>
> a) the old data more correct
> b) the new data more correct
> c) neither is correct
> d) ..."

You could try an experimental approach like automated matching using
the algorithms proposed by TomTom for openLR
(http://www.tomtom.com/page/openLR).  But you're still going to be
doing a lot of edge and node matching to get the non-TIGER data you
don't blow away to match the newly imported centerlines.

Chris