On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Spencer Riddile <riddile_spen...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> If someone wanted to upload public domain, state road centerline data to
>> OSM, what procedures could they take?  It seems like what we would like to
>> do is overwrite Tiger data but preserve user contributed data.  I did see an
>> example of using an opensource GIS plugin (RoadMatcher) that compares road
>> networks (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase_NRN_-_OSM_Map_Feature)
>> before uploading road data.  Are there other examples of procedures people
>> have used or best practices to bulk upload road centerline data?

Wow.  Twice in one day.  From an earlier post on the same topic.

This is a common and natural question for those interested in
improving the map.  Several imports are in various states of progress
around the world.  Recent concerns about possible long-term negative
effects of large imports on the OSM community suggest caution.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

> I don't believe anyone has come up with an automated way of updating
> existing data with better/different data. The best you can do is download
> the existing data and compare it manually with the newly-converted data.
> Perhaps we could write some simple tool to crowd-source the comparison
> between new and old data:
>
> "Here is the old data, here is the new data. Look at the road named "XYZ
> Rd.". Is:
>
> a) the old data more correct
> b) the new data more correct
> c) neither is correct
> d) ..."

This is similar to what Emilie Laffray and the French community are
doing with the Corine land cover data import.  They have created new
tools for it and the import is in-progress.  I expect that Emilie will
post a report to either dev or the imports list when she is ready to
go public.  You may find details on talk-fr as well.

There is another tool that is still experimental that does almost
exactly as Ian suggests called OSM Quick Check.  In this case it
"only" works for dead ends from TIGER.  And, last I heard, it was
experimental in that the data is never sent to OSM.  Still worth a
look as a very cool tool for consideration in imports.

Instructions and link to tool.
http://vatavia.net/mark/osmqc/CheckEndsInstructions.html

Best regards,
Richard