On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 01:34 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Adam Schreiber wrote:
> > I would hope that and in the future a mapping mirror.  The database
> > ought to move to being on more than one server.
>
> I am interested to hear your proposals on conflict resolution, or
> failing that, segmentation of our data.

Surely distributed databases are a "solved problem" these days. :)

Having an API mirror that's read-only to users, but kept within a minute
or two of the real thing should be OK for most people.  There's nothing
fundamentally different between that and somebody on a slow connection
doing a download of a large area.  By the time they have the data, it
may be out of date.

Writes could quite easily just be proxied (even at the HTTP layer) back
to the master machine.  I'd bet that OSM is skewed pretty darn heavily
to readers anyway.

That much could be done with HTTP and minutely planet dumps.

-- Dave