On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Apollinaris Schoell <ascho...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2010, at 23:34 , Sam Vekemans wrote:
>
> > For contour Garmin maps. I would use mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com its the
> > worldwide collection of Garmin Maps of all types.
> > Many have uploaded contour maps. Just make sure their transparent.
> >

> not sure if they will like to host such a big amount of data. And upload
> through a webinterface isn't an options for so many tiles

The interface is able to host smaller areas.. so its fine for most people.

> > Ideally, i want to find a way to generate a mapsource install routeen
> > that will load the latest OSM data & download the contour data IMG
> > files at the same time.
> >

> I use mainly Roadtrip and all is scripted without install. If I absolutely
> need Mapsource then Mapset toolkit is sufficient and not much more
> complicated than starting an installer. I think mkgmap has also an option to
> create a a control file for a Mapsource installer with some 3rd party
> package tool. But once you mess up Mapsource Mapset Toolkit is a must have
> to clean broken registry.

Thats what happens to me.  thanks for explaining it :)
The srtm groundtruth contours can easily  be installed using mapsettoolkit,
so i make the img files available.

> > Im manually making 10m contours for all of Canada (it will be a 2 gig
> > install when done) maybe someone wants to make on for all of USA?
>
> have used this combination for a compromise of speed/size/precision. as
> said srtm data isn't that good and 10m seemed overkill. with NED data it's a
> different story
> 25m minor
> 100m medium
> 200m major

In canada we have access to Natural resources canada contour data that is
available as 20m contours.
Its the same contours that ibycus topo made.
http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

So its really relative... if you hiking then 10m contours is great... and
same if mountain biking. .. but if your road biking, then it might be a
little much.

So i can make a separate map for the 25 meter  contours

> what did you use for medium and major contours?
>
> I just used the default that groundtruth gives.
1000 major
20 interm
10 minor.

Also, since the file is so big (3 gigs) it should be torrented, as well as
distributed the same way Ubuntu is, by manually giving a DVD of it.  or
snailmail a an empty sd card, and i can but it on the card and mail it back.
Thats how the Ibycus topo is descributed in Canada.

Also,
http://touren.mospace.de/kachel.html
looks like a handy service.
I dont know who the author is it is, but it would be great to have the
planet pre-done of 1 degree x 1 Degree contours.   ... maybe 25m would be
sufficient for most users.   That way anyone can just create a mapsource map
of whatever size they want.

Im fine with the quality of the SRTM contours (since there isnt anything
else (that i know how to work with) that is better. :)

Cheers,
Sam