On 18 Feb 2010, at 2:27 , Sam Vekemans wrote:

> I use mainly Roadtrip and all is scripted without install. If I absolutely
> need Mapsource then Mapset toolkit is sufficient and not much more
> complicated than starting an installer. I think mkgmap has also an option to
> create a a control file for a Mapsource installer with some 3rd party package
> tool. But once you mess up Mapsource Mapset Toolkit is a must have to clean
> broken registry.
>
> Thats what happens to me.  thanks for explaining it :)
> The srtm groundtruth contours can easily  be installed using mapsettoolkit,
> so i make the img files available.

and I should have said that contours as overlay are not very useful in
Roadtrip/Mapsource only gps units show them as overlay. I have used it only to
debug.
and I use mkgmap to compile the gmapsup.img. this is much faster than the
export from Roadtrip/Mapsource

> > Im manually making 10m contours for all of Canada (it will be a 2 gig
> > install when done) maybe someone wants to make on for all of USA?
>
> have used this combination for a compromise of speed/size/precision. as said
> srtm data isn't that good and 10m seemed overkill. with NED data it's a
> different story
> 25m minor
> 100m medium
> 200m major
>
> In canada we have access to Natural resources canada contour data that is
> available as 20m contours.
> Its the same contours that ibycus topo made.
> http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/
>
> So its really relative... if you hiking then 10m contours is great... and
> same if mountain biking. .. but if your road biking, then it might be a
> little much.
>
> So i can make a separate map for the 25 meter  contours

yes this is really user dependent and many in US will even prefer it in feet.
that's why I have everything scripted and can easily rebuild with different
parameters. groundtruth didn't work at all for me and have used gdal_translate,
gdal_contour, shape-to-osmm, mkgmap with some perl wrapper code. didn't add the
download from ftp feature because have all SRTM on disc.

> what did you use for medium and major contours?
>
> I just used the default that groundtruth gives.
> 1000 major
> 20 interm
> 10 minor.
>
> Also, since the file is so big (3 gigs) it should be torrented, as well as
> distributed the same way Ubuntu is, by manually giving a DVD of it.  or
> snailmail a an empty sd card, and i can but it on the card and mail it back.
> Thats how the Ibycus topo is descributed in Canada.

yes torrent is a perfect protocol for such data

> Also,
> http://touren.mospace.de/kachel.html
> looks like a handy service.
> I dont know who the author is it is, but it would be great to have the planet
> pre-done of 1 degree x 1 Degree contours.   ... maybe 25m would be sufficient
> for most users.   That way anyone can just create a mapsource map of whatever
> size they want.
>
> Im fine with the quality of the SRTM contours (since there isnt anything else
> (that i know how to work with) that is better. :)

srtm is really bad in mountain areas where you care most. US has NED data and I
plan to switch to that, for selected mountain regions worldwide  best data is
available at http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html
Aster is supposed to be better than SRTM but license is not as open as SRTM.
also http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ is SRTM based with refined data.