Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2010, at 5:36 , Lars Ahlzen wrote:
>
>> Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>>> Anyone knows where to get NED data for large areas? The seamless
>>> server is such a pain and it will take forever just for a single
>>> state. or we could start a crowd source effort to download and
>>> share them.
>> They don't exactly advertise it, but USGS will actually take an
>> external hard drive that you provide, fill it with NED data and
>> ship it back to you.
>>
>> We're trying to find a place to host this massive data set, though,
>> so hopefully downloading will get a lot easier soon.
>>

> thats cool do you have the data already? What about providing it as a
> set of torrent files? Torrent is the perfect protocol to distribute
> such a huge set of data. btw how big is it?

Yes, I do have it. Bittorrent would be nice, but it's over 600 GB, so
just seeding it once would probably put me over my ISP's bw quota
(and/or clog my intertubes for weeks!). :(

The lower resolution (1 arc-second) version isn't _as_ huge, so that
could possibly work. Then again, that isn't much improvement over SRTM.

--
Lars Ahlzen
l...@ahlzen.com