I happen to know the answer to this one.  I'll save Brett the trouble of
replying again, and point you to an earlier explanation in this thread.
(Though being so long, I don't blame you for not seeing it the first
time around.)

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2010-April/003087.html

It seems really odd to me, too, but it's not the first time customs have
developed in odd ways...

Nathan Oliver