On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:11:03AM -0400, Anthony wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My point is that there should be no tagging for renderers of any kind:
> > "correct" or "incorrect".
>
> Huh?  What does that mean?  Who/what are you supposed to tag for if
> not for renderers of any kind?

In my opinion, "we" should have started with indisputable, objective,
physical attributes/descriptions first:  width/lanes, separated/two-way,
grade-separated/no; on/off-ramps or intersections, etc.

Then you add in government classifications, if they exist, which include
membership in national/regional/local networks/routes, etc.

After that, you add in a "hint" that codifies local opinion/convention
about the usage of the road.

The penultimate step, if we have the resources, is to have the DB server
execute some heuristic algorithm that does a localized network analysis
to "weight" the segments based on the weight of the connecting roads.

Then renderer/stylesheet authors can make a choice between
algorithmic/objective
or subjective classification.