On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM, McGuire, Matthew
<matt.mcgu...@metc.state.mn.us> wrote:
> Tag for truth!
>
> Not to speak for Ian, but what I took that to mean was that tags should be
> based on observation, not based on how a feature should be represented on a
> map.

There's no observation that will tell you whether a road is primary or
secondary.

> Tagging incorrectly is not good. And tagging correctly is good. Tagging for
> the renderer is not correct.

Tagging railway=rail for a pair of rails rather than mapping each rail
separately and using rail=steel is tagging for the renderer. It's also
tagging correctly, as would be the rail=steel method.

> All other maps that I have ever seen - including all I have made - have this
> crude quality. Sensor derived geographic material such as satellite and
> aerial imagery does not have this quality when viewed at appropriate scales.
> OSM can transcend the crudeness of vector maps and the scale limitations of
> sensor derived data if mappers act as agents on one feature at a time.

What you mean is that it can transcend usefulness and become a sea of
unclassified roads. Gotcha.