On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Alan Millar wrote:

I am currently on a road trip and today I am in Utah.  In the last hour
I just drove on  200 So.,  200 S.,  200 South,  No. Temple,  N. Temple,
and North Temple.  I also drove past 1400 West and "1465 W" without a
period.  And those were the city signs!  That doesn't include addresses
signed on buildings, which included several "West North Temple".  I did
not once see "W North Temple" or "W. North Temple" on any signs or
buildings.

Yes the signing is not entirely consistent. But none of the official street signs includes the directional prefix. It is just "North Temple", not "West North Temple". This is why, for my area the directional prefix should not be part of the name.

So, no, I don't trust that mappers are going to remember abbreviation
rules only for limited definitions of subjectively-optional name parts,
when they disagree with city signs.  If OSM rules do disagree with
signs, they need to be simple and readily verifiable by others.

Okay, you made your point with the abbreviations. I am not going to argue it any further.

For people who are new or can't figure it out, put the whole
unabbreviated name in the "name" tag.  Period.  For address nerds who
care, put the additional information in additional tags.

West North Temple needs to be tagged as:

name=West North Temple
name_dir_prefix=West
name_base=North Temple

As I just said not a _single_ street sign included the directional
prefix.  Therefore it should not be part of the name.  It is really
part of the address.

Alan, I just posted a description on the two different uses of directional prefixes. Do you still really think the directional prefix, as used in Salt Lake City, _has_ to be part of the name? Or are you willing to yield to someone who has lived in the area?

From there, you can do anything you could possibly want with the map
renderer(s), mkgmap, navit, or any other map data application, without
guessing or getting it wrong.

There are still many ways to get it wrong. Abbreviations are not the only way street signs are inconsistent.