The vast majority of street addresses are only going to have only four elements:
2.2.1.2 Address Number
2.2.2.2 Street Name Pre Directional or 2.2.2.6 Post Directional
2.2.2.4 Street Name
2.2.2.5 Street Name Post Type or 2.2.2.3 Street Name Pre Type
That's hardly a significant burden and easily understood by most people. If the
other elements don't exist, you don't use them at all. Like I said, it's a tag
based model, not a table based, so you don't even need to enter nulls for the
other elements.
The complex elements do not have to be entered either, since they are all
compositions of the simple elements. All the other 12 elements are only entered
for the rare addresses that use them.

The Subaddress, Landmark, Place, and USPS elements are only used for those
special address types, so they don't come into play on street addressing (and
actually provide a standardized way of dealing with rural routes and placemark
addresses, which we can currently only deal with as POIs).

As I said, the important thing here is that this is likely to be the FGDC
standard soon, and looks to be the format for TIGER 2010 and subsequent updates.
--Brett
Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017